I am not sure about this!

So, I have decided to start a blog. The main reason is to chronicle my adventures as I buy a house and fix it up. The other and less important reason is to have something to do at the end of the day. Since I graduated with my Master's this past December, I am trying to find ways to take up my free time. For two years I worked full time on campus as well as took a full load of graduate courses each semester. So you can imagine, I have much more time on my hands now (especially on the weekends and after work). To take up some of the time I have painted alittle, cleaned up my apartment in a way that hasn't been done in 2 years, and now I am buying a house that I am sure will take up all my time for the next few months.

Now that I have given you the reason for blogging, I will get everyone caught up in my house buying adventure! Over the past month, I have seen about 5 houses in Tuscaloosa. I am looking for a home that I can one day rent out and make a little profit. That means the house I want will be low priced, in good structural condition and doesn't need any MAJOR repairs. I can handle what I consider small stuff, like flooring, painting, and yard work. However, I do not need to replace a HVAC, a roof or a water heater right now. That can happen later, but not in the next 3 years.

So after looking at a few houses, I came across one that I really liked. It is a two bedroom, one and a half bath, with very large rooms and a VERY nice price tag. After almost making a offer on one the week before (thank goodness that I didn't), I feel like this is the house for me. It has nice hardwoods, a good layout and is just the right size! After looking at it twice, I went for it! I put a offer in last Friday (4/18) and it was accepted by Monday (4/21). Immediately I called an inspector. They came out on the following Wednesday (4/23). This whole process is so nerve-racking for me! Anyone that knows me, knows that I hate waiting and like thinks to get done as soon as possible. I went to the inspection and yesterday I got the report back. There are some things that need to be repaired. Nothing too major but I will not live in there until some of the issues are corrected. However, the good news was the house is structural great, it has a new roof, new hot water heater, and newer HVAC, so it meets my needs in that capsity. I am now to the point that I will be asking for repairs from the seller. I am meeting with my agent today to go over my "list of demands". Hopefully everything will workout and I will be working on a house all summer. On a side note, I know I mentioned the hardwoods that are in the house but for some unknown reason, someone glued carpet down in the KITCHEN! The only room in the house that has carpet! SO GROSS! That will be the first thing that hits the curb. Anyways, I think I have got everyone caught up. I will update again once I hear back from the seller! Lets hope it works out in my favor!!

No comments: