Deer Art

For the new baby's room, Jonathan wanted a hunting themed room. I was totally fine with that as long as it didn't involve camo (I wanted a more modern take on hunting). Well last week, I finally got around to completing a little DIY art that I found on Esty (but I was just unwilling to pay for). 

I liked the burlap and the deer silhouette and thought it would be a great addition to our little hunter's room.
So I decided to make one myself. I found a frame in my parents basement that was already completed (and worked with some other frames for the room). This frame had an odd opening of 9x14 so I knew I would have to customize the deer to that size. I found a deer silhouette online, printed it and then enlarged it by 300%. This is what I started with:
Then I took that enlargement and covered in packaging tape for protection from the paint. I also customized the deer. Jonathan has killed two 7-point deer and their are mounted in our basement man cave. So I cut this deer down, from an 11-point to a 7-point to match. 

Once I got that done, I adhered my burlap to a piece of foam board, then sprayed the back of my template with spray adhesive so that it would stick while I painted. It worked out better than I thought it would.
After a little white paint, here is what we got:
 I think it turned out better than what I was copying!! I promise to post more pictures of the nursery soon. We finally got it 98% done...although I probably shouldn't say "we". I will tell you all about that soon...I promise.

No comments: